Jesus and Same-Sex Attraction
I want to share some thoughts on Jesus and same-sex attraction:
- Jesus spoke in GRACE and TRUTH in regards to sexuality (see Matthew 18:12). HE ALWAYS accepted people but had standards for people to live by. This is the tension between LIVING in grace and truth. Here is the question: "How does the evangelical community welcome same-sex attraction without loosing theological/Biblical purity?"
- SEXUALITY does not make up our identity as culture eludes to. We ALL wrestle with identity issues and sexuality. Jesus calls us to find identity in HIM EVEN in the midst of the deep complexities of sexuality (Romans 8:11). So... where do you PUT our/your identity in? Sexuality? Culture? Jesus?
- We all wrestle with issues that Jesus wants us to journey on so we FIND hope and life in the GOSPEL; not just find identity in our personal issues, which could/would include anger, promiscuity, same sex attraction, aka "thrones in the flesh" (2 Corinthians 12:19).
- the GOSPEL brings eternal satisfaction (2 Corinthians 4:17). Sex is great and is VERY satisfying* YET the GOSPEL, the presence of God, and ultimately Heaven BRINGS eternal satisfaction.
- EVERYTHING Jesus did was to bless people, not curse people. Everything Jesus did was out of love (John 3:16).
I would LOVE to have you add to the conversation...
*I'm married and LOVE my French wife :)