Procrastination doesn’t solve problems
The Penn State Sex Abuse scandal is a great example for all of us - problems don’t go away. Lesson - face problems head on.
Sometimes, you and I decide NOT to deal with the problem around us (people, conflict, family, friends, job, and neighbor) or inside of us (identity, career, debt, pain/wounds) because of FEAR...
- Fear of the unknown
- Fear of failure
- Fear of success
- Fear of the consequences/pain
- Fear of self
- Fear of others
YET, fear paralyzes. It causes you and I NOT to deal with problems and undermines the consequences of un-dealt problems. It is called procrastination. Penn state senior officials didn’t deal with 14 years of sexual abuse within its leadership because of FEAR... YET the consequences were so much more severe when left under the rug.
In the same way, the night before Jesus was betrayed, 12 followers were bombarded with fear. They were scared, intimated, confused, anger with each other and Jesus (all emotions of fear) YET Jesus still went to the cross. It was not only the best for Jesus to leave but for the disciples to face their fears. Jesus faced the problem of sin. The disciples were faced with the problem of fear.
Many theologians believe 1-3 John is uniquely connected to the discourse in the upper room found in John 13-17. In a famous quote in 1 John 4:18, “PERFECT loves casts out ALL fear” is obviously connected to the fear the disciples experienced the night before the crucifixion.
With that said, how do you and I deal with fear?
- We experience PURE love –“We are incapable of loving others unless we love ourselves.” – Scott Peck
- We deal with problems face on – “You must do the thing you think you cannot do” – Eleanor Roosevelt
- Tell YOURSELF the truth – “the beginning of knowledge is to know God.” – King Solomon. Feelings can lie. Truth doesn’t.
- Be willing to change – a friend of mine spoke to me; in one of the darkness moments of my life; said, “You can only control yourself.” In other words, you and I have control of OUR emotions, attitude, and actions... that is it.
Whatever cards life has dwelt you, play them well! WHY?
- Because we GROW - simply puy, health = growth in and through us. Fear breeds procrastination and we never grow
- Because we can LOVE - I want to be known as a person who loves. Not hates. Not apathetic
- Because we become BETTER people - to ourselves and those around us; especially our families
- Because we become RICH - in relationships; with God, ourselves, family, friends.
How do you deal with fear?